(Indian Institutes of Technology-Joint Entrance Examination)
Joint Entrance Examination – Advanced (JEE-Advanced), formerly the Indian Institutes of Technology-Joint Entrance Examination (IIT-JEE), is an academic examination held annually in India. It is conducted by one of the seven zonal IITs (IIT Roorkee, IIT Kharagpur, IIT Delhi, IIT Kanpur, IIT Bombay, IIT Madras, and IIT Guwahati) under guidance of the Joint Admission Board (JAB).
It is the sole prerequisite for admission in the Indian Institutes of Technology. Other universities like the Rajiv Gandhi Institute of Petroleum Technology, Indian Institute of Science Education and Research (IISERs), and the Indian Institute of Science also uses the score obtained in JEE Advanced as the basis for admission. Any student who was admitted to IIT cannot appear for the JEE-Advanced, but the same is not the case with IISc, IISER, RGIPT and other institutes, because these institutes only use JEE-Advanced scores as a criterion for admission. The examination is organised each year by one of the IIT, on a round robin rotation pattern. It has a very low qualification rate (about 9,369 in 479,651 in 2012; ~1.95%) The qualification rate of the JEE-Advanced in 2017 was approximately 0.92% (about 11,000 out of 1,200,000 who applied for JEE Main).
In 2013 the examination, originally called the IIT-JEE, was renamed as JEE (Advanced), and the AIEEE was renamed JEE (Main).From 2017, IIT began conducting JEE internationally for the admission of foreign residents.
1. Age limit has been removed by NTA.
2. Class XII or Pre-University Course or any other equivalent exam conducted by any recognized Central/ State board with a minimum of 5 subjects. Physics and Math are mandatory.
3. National Defence Academy -The final examination of the 2-year course of the Joint Services Wing.
4. AICTE or State board of technical education recognized Diploma of at least 3 years duration.
5. General Certificate Education (GCE) exam (London/ Cambridge/ Sri Lanka) at Advanced (A) level (applicable for IIT only).